Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #64:
My spouse and I both live in NY.

We want to file for divorce - Do we have to file a legal separation and wait 1 full year?
We have no minor children, and no arguments about the division of property.
Can he sign a quit-claim form and sell me his share of the property for a $1?
It is a common misconception that one has to wait a year in order to get a divorce in NY.
That is only the case if you use the Separation Agreement as the grounds for divorce.
There are other grounds that can be used in which you can file for divorce immediately.

Yes, he can quit claim the property to you.
I cannot overemphasize the need to use an experienced, matrimonial attorney -mediator
to review all of the issues with you, prepare all of the documents, and properly file them. This is an event in your lives that
is too important to leave to self help.

Please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediating your divorce.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions
Back to content