Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #24:

my lawyer claims my divorce papers were sent to judge to be signed and finalized . said it will take up to 2 months to get back. he has told me many of times was sent in before but lied. i think this time he is lying again; how can i check for myself to make sure it was sent in as he said? i live in new york.


It is not unusual, especially in New York County and other counties in New York City, for it to take two months for the judge to sign the judgment. You can request from your attorney to provide you with a copy of the receipt for the filing of the "Note of Issue".

You may also go to the county clerk's office in the county in which you reside, and

request to see the entire matrimonial file which can be identified

by the index number usually located at the top right hand corner

of the divorce documents and notices which you have received.

At such time, you may has to clerk of the status of the divorce is

and if the judge has signed the judgment .

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions
Back to content