Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #33:
I live in NY.

I am a 46 year old male and have been married 12 years to my wife. We have no children and own a home. We have dated since we were teenagers and then got married.

We have come to an impasse in our live because we are both different people. This is understood and we both have agreed to this. We have already discussed the assets and we want to remain friends after the divorce. We are amicable. My question is there any other way to get divorced without filing for a separation agreement and living apart from each other for a year. And also disregarding the 5 other causes and reasons for grounds for divorce in the State of NY.

Thank You
If you are both in agreement regarding the need to divorce, it is possible to get a divorce without having to wait a full year.

New York State, however, requires grounds and therefore you will have to select the most benign grounds upon which to file for divorce.

If you are located in the New York City metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to mediate your divorce. The matters are too serious to be left to self-help, and require the expertise of an experienced matrimonial attorney.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions
Back to content