Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #20:
Last week I had my husband arrested for domestic violence and since then, I moved back home with my mother. I have a 4 yr old who at the time of the incident was downstairs with my in-laws. I decided it was better to leave my daughter with the in-laws because there was always someone home to bring/pick her up from school. I told my in-laws that I will pick her up from school on Fridays and watch her the whole weekend. Will this show as abandonment? Are my chances of having full custody good and in terms of finding a lawyer, do I have to find one within the area I now live?
Get a copy of the police report which was made when they came to your house and arrested your husband . You will need it later when you decide to file for divorce. Abandonment generally relates to leaving the marital home and refusing to live with your spouse. You have taken your daughter to your inlaws to make sure she is provided for during this temporary period but you should seek more permanent arrangements that support the position that you are capable of providing for your daughter yourself. If you cannot demonstrare to the court that you are able to care for your child yourself, it will influence the court's decision as to child custody and the best intertests of the child. You should seek out an attorney- mediator experienced in matrimonial matters and try to mediate your divorce rather than litigate in court which is very costly and emotionally traumatic. If you are located in the NYC metro area,please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss further.
Leonard M. Weiner, Esq / Divorce Solutions
Back to content