Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #53:
I am an immigrant, I came to USA by permanent resident visa from my wife side. I was married for 11 years out of that we both lived together for 5 years. Since I came to this country my wife mostly stayed away from me. I have two sons. My wife is working for the past 3 years on and off. Since we do not have any emotional and physical relation, I was requesting her for divorce. But she and her parents are threatening me saying, they will inform at my work as I am abusing her and refusing to give divorce. Even though we live under same roof, we are like strangers. I am ready to provide child support to my sons or I will happily take my sons custody but they are refusing it. Please give me your advice, what to do.
I think you owe it to your children to try family couselling first to see if you can reconstruct your marriage. If that fails, I strongly suggest that you discuss with her divorce mediation which is a civil way of separating and divorcing. Don't be afraid of the idle threats from your in-laws. They will need proof or testimony from reliable witnesses for the Court to believe them. If you are located in the NYC metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss further.
Leonaed M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions
Back to content